Thursday, February 11, 2010

Why would i get a false positive digital pregnancy test?

I took a digital pregnancy test with the first mornings urine the day before my period was due it said pregnant. The next morning to better confirm took another digital test it said negative. Then the day after i started my period. Not sure if i was pregnant or not.Why would i get a false positive digital pregnancy test?
I asked my doctor that question...she said there is no false positives only false negatives.....Go to a doctor and ask for a blood test. Good luckWhy would i get a false positive digital pregnancy test?
Ive read alot about this subject after i tried unsucessfully for 3 years to concieve(turned out I had under-active thyroid and the very month after getting my levels right I concieved) but anyway I read that most women will have atleast one miscarriage in their life but most of us dont know about it because it will occur at time of menstrulation because we did not have enough pregnancy hormone HCG in our system to maintain the pregnancy. My guess is that you were pregnant, but may have unfortunately lost it.(if that is the case I am very sorry) that is the problem with these early testing kits, where we may once never have known that we were pregnant and therefore not having to go through the loss process, now we have all these great tests but they have their downsides.One last thing I would say though is that I had what I thought was the most horrific period with my daughters pregnancy but it turned out to be that I'd miscarried her twin, and my daughter turned out fine. Im not saying this is whats happened to you but its always possible? Goodluck with everything!!
sometimes it depends on your body. How much of the hormones that your body is producing. Perhaps the reading was incorrect because your body did not produce that much the day before. I would just go to the doctor and let them do it. They are very accurate.
When I was pregnant with my second child I had a pregnancy test at the doctor's, it was negative. The when pregnant with my 3rd, I went for another test - 2nd child a baby. Test negative told absolutely foolproof! I told them to look at my baby in pram as she was also negative!
To everyone answering her question... i have also got a false positive using the Clear Blue digital test.. i was wondering the same thing... I didn't turn out to be pregnant.. :(


Sorry I wasn't any help to your question!
The old standard is that a false positive is VERY VERY RARE. However, there is recent anecdotal evidence that indicates that the new digital tests do have an unexplained higher rate of false positives than the traditional pregnancy tests. One brand, Confirm Clearly, has been formally recalled for this very reason. Another group, including ept and Clearblue Easy, are currently investigating these claims.





Personally, I like the ease of the digital tests, but if I do get a positive result I will certainly confirm with a second test from one of the traditional tests, like First Response Early Result. Basically, making a choice between major disappointment or wasting an extra $10. Or, just buy the traditional test from the beginning!
stacey is correct, you can have a false negative but not a false positive, although there is a liver condition that produces HGC (the pregnacy hormone) You can bleed while pregnant and some women continue to have periods thru out their pregnancy so go to the docs to be sure that your not preg and get checked out for anything else!





Good luck xx
you can get a false posative if you take the test before your period is due but its very rare





get you GP to test you ASAP
i don't know why people say there is no such thing as a false positive i've had one once and it was done at a clinic i also had one before and i guesse it was a chemical pregnancy which means that the sac didn't form
I would go to the doctor %26amp; ask for a urine %26amp; blood test even though you got your period does not mean you are not pregnant!
False positive tests are rare - though there are instances and conditions where they can occur. For example, some tissues in a non-pregnant woman can produce hCG, though the levels are usually so low they are not detectable by home pregnancy tests. Secondly, research indicates that half of all ';conceptions'; (fertilized eggs) do not go forward as developing pregnancy. Within this group, a proportion are recognized as ';a chemical pregnancy'; - a pregnancy in which there is a positive pregnancy test and no other signs or symptoms).





Moreover, a percentage of ';false positive'; pregnancy tests can be attributed to misinterpretation of results due to a failure to follow test instructions with precision. You should not rely on any positive result that does not show up within the time limit stated in the test instructions

No comments:

Post a Comment