Thursday, February 11, 2010

How to mute fire alarm in my apt-I have baby.(all false so far-I have xlnt hearing, no worries I wont hear it)

Obnoxious fire alarm in my apartment scares baby. Alarms have all been false so far - I would like to mute the alarm so it's not so piercing - I have excellent hearing so I'm not worried that I wouldn't hear it in the case of emergency, even if it is muted. Anyone have any ideas on where/who sells a good baffle to place over speaker? Size appx. 5 inch radius circle.How to mute fire alarm in my apt-I have baby.(all false so far-I have xlnt hearing, no worries I wont hear it)
It is probably illegal where you live to tamper with it in any way. Perhaps you can bring it up with your landlordHow to mute fire alarm in my apt-I have baby.(all false so far-I have xlnt hearing, no worries I wont hear it)
I believe they are called photoelectric fire detectors. They are not triggered the same way as a normal smoke detector, so they might work better in your situation. You might just try replacing the existing unit with a new model. You probably should spend a little extra money on a name brand unit. New and better technology prevents the false alarms a little better.
Open the cover and you'll see the little speaker/siren thing. Stuff it with a cotton ball then tape a quarter or a nickel over it. It should still be loud, only muffled somewhat. I did something similar with my phone that had an obnoxiously loud ringer.
Depending on the building codes for where you live it may have a carbon monoxide detector in the unit. Call your landlord and explain what's happening. If it bothers you that much take out the batteries and buy a new one. The newer ones are less sensitive to every day household smoke, cigarettes, cooking etc...Hope this helps and baby gets good nights sleep!!!
if you live in an apt you might consider your neighbor's they might not have good hearing if it is a central alarm be carefull it may automatically call the fire dept if you mess with it it will go off ask the office if maintenance can do something that is why you pay rent

No comments:

Post a Comment